Friday, March 02, 2007

Off to kindergarten in fall?


I'm in a bit of a dilemma with Ruby starting school in the fall. Our Developmental Pediatrician recommends she stay at daycare for the year but really doesn't have an intimate knowledge of Ruby or the daycare facility. She's also been practicing for a very long and some of her ideas I feel are outdated. The daycare facilty has none to little knowledge of autism and I continually need to explain stuff.

Ruby is non-verbal mod autistic and in my opinion she has at least a near average IQ but I'm her mother so don't hold me to it; it could be higher. She attends a regular daycare with an aide right now and will attend a regular kindergarten classroom with an aide if we send her. There are no "special ed" schools or segregated classrooms where we are... I'm thankful in some ways I don't have to make a decision on that issue.

Her program and assistance will be directed by the school resource (spec.ed) teacher (RT) and autism services team; they act as consultants to the school and RT. The RT sees no reason why my dd shouldn't start school and I saw no concern or flinching in his face; he went on to reassure me by telling me they just had another child who was non-verbal upon entry leave verbal and has gone to highschool (likely with assistance but I didn't ask).

Our resource consultant doesn't feel she's ready for school but I don't think Ruby will ever be actually ready or have an opportune time to start if I wait for "readiness". I've filled in the paperwork but admit I'm very nervous and it being a tremendous leap of faith. I can't say how I'll actually feel in 11th hour and hopefully the mid summer school conference will help make my decision.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home