No Aide today...
I'm really cheesed at our Resource Consultant she is the person who oversees the educational aides. The preschool where Owen is can't take him for anymore hours because staff needs to monitor him and they don't have enough staff. It's a regular preschool one teacher to 7 students.
Well, anyhow I asked about an aide and the RC said she'd put him on the waitlist in a tone like she didn't want to and went on about funding. She said not to count on one because they have kids who are more disabled than him waiting for an aide who've things like feeding tubes. Those were her words.
Owen is non verbal and has severe apraxia, dyspraxia and I know he has autism but right now he's dx'd as possible asd. In speech therapy we're working on pointing and looking at the person. He is waitlisted for the Augmentative Communication Team because the Speech Therapist has such trouble getting his attention and his sounds are so few.
Developmentally he's way behind in every milestone except gross motor and then he's on the go climbing and such and doesn't participate action songs or play with peers. He also bites objects and occasionally people and frequenlty pulls on other children's clothes. But, he is smiley and for the most amicable.
Im PO'd that she could determine who is disabled enough to get an EA and that because someone has a physical disability they're more disabled my ds can't feed himself properly either and needs soemone to hold the cup for him he doesn't/can't help put on his coat or clothes. He doesn't draw pictures or know how to use scissors or even safely use a pencil.
I'm not begrudging some else's disability but I was completely insulted that she brought it into the equation like I should just be happy with what I was getting for free from the government program. She just minimized us and she's supposed to be working for him because he's not a kid in a wheelchair or physically blind he's somehow less entitled eventhough he qualifies as being disabled.
Well, anyhow I asked about an aide and the RC said she'd put him on the waitlist in a tone like she didn't want to and went on about funding. She said not to count on one because they have kids who are more disabled than him waiting for an aide who've things like feeding tubes. Those were her words.
Owen is non verbal and has severe apraxia, dyspraxia and I know he has autism but right now he's dx'd as possible asd. In speech therapy we're working on pointing and looking at the person. He is waitlisted for the Augmentative Communication Team because the Speech Therapist has such trouble getting his attention and his sounds are so few.
Developmentally he's way behind in every milestone except gross motor and then he's on the go climbing and such and doesn't participate action songs or play with peers. He also bites objects and occasionally people and frequenlty pulls on other children's clothes. But, he is smiley and for the most amicable.
Im PO'd that she could determine who is disabled enough to get an EA and that because someone has a physical disability they're more disabled my ds can't feed himself properly either and needs soemone to hold the cup for him he doesn't/can't help put on his coat or clothes. He doesn't draw pictures or know how to use scissors or even safely use a pencil.
I'm not begrudging some else's disability but I was completely insulted that she brought it into the equation like I should just be happy with what I was getting for free from the government program. She just minimized us and she's supposed to be working for him because he's not a kid in a wheelchair or physically blind he's somehow less entitled eventhough he qualifies as being disabled.
Labels: Autism


1 Comments:
Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right, although I expect Canada has different rules from America. I know that there is always a waiting list for everything, [especially at the moment].
Might be worth contacting a local support group to find out if you're being fobbed off [squeaky wheel]
Best wishes
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home